Today I wanted to talk to you about building a one-liner for your practice.
First off, what is a one-liner? No--it isn't a mission statement. It's more than that. Have you ever asked a company a question and gotten a reply like, "Well my grandfather started this company..."? The second the person hears something along those lines and their brain shuts off. You become irrelevant and just more noise in a sea of screaming people.
So, how do we avoid this? We avoid this by having a clear answer to the question. For reference, we will say the human brain can only consume X number of calories when thinking about your practice and what you can offer them. Your answer and opening statement will set the tone for the conversation to follow and grab your user's attention immediately. By being clear and having a focused response we answer these simple questions for our audience:
- Who are we trying to help?
- What are they trying to overcome?
- Who are we?
- What is the plan we have to help our patient?
- What will life look like after you invoke our help?
Does this sound like a familiar story to you? It should because it is the basic building block of every story you have ever heard. The reason we will use this format to form you one-liner is that subconsciously your patients relate to this way of thinking more than they even realize. You position yourself as the guide in their story, and let them be the hero. By doing this you take them on a journey that resonates on a much deeper level with them than just explaining who and what your practice is.
Take Pulse Design's one-liner as an example:
"Most medical professionals struggle with optimizing their online presence. Our Turnkey Branding Strategies & Website Design will help you advance your medical practice, boost revenues and enjoy practicing medicine."
This hits all 5 of the required steps to tell a good story.
1. Who are we trying to help?
- "Most medical professionals" - This clearly defines who it is we are talking about.
2. What are they trying to overcome?
- "struggle with optimizing their online presence" - This says, "Hey we know what you're struggling with."
3. Who are we?
- "Our turnkey Branding Strategies & Website Design" - This tells the user who we are and what we do: we create turnkey branding and website design for our clients.
4. What is the plan we have to help our patient?
- "Our turnkey Branding Strategies & Website Design" - This also flows with our plan: we will create a brand and an online presence for your practice/business.
5. What will your life look like after you invoke our help?
- "advance your medical practice, boost revenues and enjoy practicing medicine." - This is what using our services will do for your practice. By choosing us, this is how we will transform your practice from what it is today, to the powerhouse that it will become.
Using this strategy will change the way people will view your practice. It allows them to put themselves into a story. They become a hero to a story, who has to overcome whatever current dilemma they are going through with your help to get back to great health. By doing this their life will be transformed for the better.
PS: If you're struggling with coming up with a one-liner for your practice just keep playing with the 5 simple steps above. You'll get it, and your practice will be better for it!